The Device Platform
Particle Therapeutics is developing single-use and multi-use needle-free delivery devices pre-filled with the specially formulated vaccine or drug particles. The devices use high-pressure helium gas to accelerate the particles for delivery at the skin.
The particle formulation
The particles used for needle-free delivery are highly engineered to meet the physical demands of high-speed delivery through the skin. Particle Therapeutics has the knowledge, expertise and capability to manufacture these particles which are robust enough to be delivered ballistically whilst at the same time stabilizing the active protein ingredients to retain the biological activity through the formulation and delivery process.
The Key Benefits
- No cross-contamination from needle or syringe re-use
- No particular skill is required to administer the needle-free device
- No perceived risk to the patient (e.g. injection of air, puncturing arteries)
- No risk of needle-related injuries, ether to the subject due to needle breakage, or to the administrator
- No bleeding, and administration is virtually pain-free
- No “cold chain” or refrigeration, as with the preservation of liquid vaccines and drugs
Particle Therapeutics has conducted an efficacy study for ballistic vaccine delivery of our particle formulation containing a Porcine Circovirus Type 2 antigen to pigs. The study delivered encouraging positive results, demonstrating that the particles retained potency and were effective in eliciting an immune response in pigs.